Usually what happens is I end up making a churn dash or Ohio star quilt from them with a nice planned colour scheme. I really like those two blocks. This time I am determined to do something different. Here is one of those little stacks. See that bottom (blue background) fabric? It is a Thimbleberries that I had just a fat quarter of. I loved it so searched the web until I found more and bought it. I bought those 3 star prints, too. They go great together. I just don't know what to make with them.
Here's another. When I was separating out fat quarters I stacked up these reds and whites. I like red and white quilts whenever I see them in a quilt show. Just need to decide what these should become.
Here's another little stack. I loved that star print when I found it. Red, white and blue with a twist.
Look! I actually decided what to make with it! I forgot to take a picture of it until I had put it on the pile of to be pinned quilts. I was intending to do a star fabric border but decided to end with the blue, yes, blue again.
Here is another. This fabric was actually part of a tote bag kit from Connecting Threads years ago when they sold fabric other than their own. I knew I would not make the tote, though. I love the shade of red --Gingham Rose is the name of the fabric line, I think.
And look, it actually became something, too. Very country French, don't you think? I was working on it while I watched "Julie and Julia" or "Julia and Julie", whichever way it is. Seems fitting. I will have to remember that when it is quilted and it comes time to name it. And, no, I didn't care very much for the movie. I have never been a Meryl Streep fan, and the Julie parts were not all that interesting, either. I used to watch Julia Child on TV but have never owned her cook book. I have made beef bourgenon (or however you spell it) but from my Good Housekeeping cookbook. I used to call it "alky stew" because it has so much alcohol in it -- wine and cognac. Good, though.
But I digress. I took a quick class at my local quilt shop on embroidery as I have not been too successful at teaching it to myself. I could never figure out for sure on the back stitch if you use the same hole. Well, you don't. And I have always hated and made poor French knots. I learned to make decent ones. Yay! I don't have much in the way of Valentine decorations so once this becomes a little pillow it will be a nice addition to next year's Valentine's decorations. Oh, and she recommended always putting batting behind the muslin when you stitch. I really like this idea. I may try it on cross stitch, too.
Boy, this post is all over the place, isn't it? That's what I get for posting so erratically. It's hard to believe it has been so long. I was lazy getting my pics off the camera. Anyway, I like to keep all my empty spools each year. Both in 2009 and 2010 I used 55 spools. Isn't that weird? The year before that only 34. Here is spool number 1 for 2011.
I had decided it was time to make backs for all the tops I had accumulated. In fact my next post was to be called "backs and bindings". Ahem, never happened. Anyway, I have now made backs for about 25 quilts of all sizes. I even made backs for these I just showed you made from little stacks. The pile to be pinned is now huge. I need to get pinning and quilting. Pinning the layers together is the only part of quilting I don't like so I tend to have to go on pinning binges. Look at this mess while I was auditioning backs.
Here was the stack needing to be pinned before I through those two more recent ones on top. Big, yes?
Long post, I know, with lots of pics, but there is more if you can take it! Remember I was trying to use up kits and pre-cuts? Here is a little tablerunner using precuts. It came out cute I think. I would use this pattern again.
Here it is full size.
Remember this fabric from putting together the work squares? I have had this Thimbleblossom pattern for a long time and could not decide what fabric to use for the big piece in the middle. The pattern pic has a pretty plain print. I thought this happy print would look great and it does. I like the big applique, too.
Done with machine blanket stitch of course.
I like it alot.
I liked it so much I decided to do a similar thing with another print for another Thimbleblossoms pattern.
I don't like this one anywhere near as much. Of course it doesn't have the flower applique. I am thinking I will make a house applique copying one of the houses in the fabirc. That will help it I think. Mr THQ was thinking it was just a piece of fabric on the floor when I took this picture. Definitely needs more work.