Thursday, March 3, 2011

Favourite things

I was reading one of my all time favourite cooking blogs, Mel's Kitchen Cafe, and noticed a section of favourite things. Related to cooking, of course. Well, I had just been thinking about a couple of my favourite things, quilting related, of course, and thought I would share them. This is the best seam ripper on the face of the earth. I love it so much I want to buy another one. If I could find it. I found another by Clover but it has a rougher tip -- not ball point I suppose -- and despite Mr THQ's best efforts at smoothing it out, it is, alas, not as good. But I am always searching.
This is another. Although I certainly missed half of it in the picture. Oh, well. It is just a box with sections and I keep all my Bernina feet in it. They sit nicely protected and dust free. Which is important since dusting is not one of my highly developed skills.
And my baby scissors. They are out all the time when I am sewing, and go into their case when I am not.
My quilting gloves. They are wonderful for free motion because they grip so well. And they are small. I have small hands so it is hard to find gloves that fit. I actually wore through my first pair. Then I discovered that the company for which I worked carried these in some of the locations. But not in small, of course. I got them to order me an entire dozen in my size! So as long as I can find them when I need them I am set for life.
Now I know I have mentioned this staple puller before. I use it to close the safety pins when I am pin basing the layers together. It works much better than spoons or anything else I have found. It was a freebie. Fortunately I have a few of them, too.
And clips for holding the binding on. I knew these as pin curl clips when I was a kid but now they are sold as binding clips and they are terrific. As you know I sew all my bindings on by machine and these are hold it all in place.
My bobbin storage case. This is ancient. I bought enough bobbins to fill it plus one more that is in the machine. When I get ready to quilt I wind a whole row of the colour I am using. It saves lots of time, oh, and, dust free!
And my favourite ruler. 6.5 by 18.5. Creative Grids. I don't like Omnigrid too much because of the yellow lines. This is my second one. I wore the first one out. Absolutely the perfect size for me.
While I was thinking about favourite things and thinking about what I might make next once my quilting binge is finished I thought about how I love these types of patterns, buy them often, but rarely make them. I need to rectify that. There is one I finished in the to be quilted stack so you will see it soon. But these are all sooooooo darn cute I need to stop buying and start making. Or keep buying and start making. That is probably more likely.
I have finished quilting some tops. This is a kind of Christmassy one. I like the yellow green colour with red. Not too prim but I like it.
And this one was a charm pack plus some yardage. Minnick and Simpson. I like it okay but you know I think it is a little boring to only use one fabric line. For the flag room.
And this one was to make use of a fat quarter I really liked at one time. Now, not so much. Funny how that happens, isn't it?
And you probably remember this one because I took it apart and replaced some blocks because I was unhappy with it. It really is cute quilted and now I am ready for a boy baby to appear somewhere.
And another little one. I like these colours. It is already in my bedroom because the colours are perfect for in there.
And I love, love, love how this one came out. It is mostly a bunch of half yards that I thought went together really well. Oh, and a fabric I bought in Charlotte last time I visited my daughter.
And look at the back. It looks so great with it. And the back is from JoAnn's. Lots of my backs come from JoAnn's because of cost but this one is cute and perfect.
And you just saw this one. Another quick from start to finish!
Still a few more to quilt so best get going while the finishing bug is still active!

4 comments:

  1. You've been really busy! I like your list of favorites...my number one fave is my stilletto. But I do have other tools I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you HAVE been busy!! Love your stack of patterns...we have the same taste!!
    You take care!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I have the same dusting skills - underdeveloped! Love your list of favorites. It looks like you've been on a major quilting marathon! All lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your favorites list! I think one of my favorites is the same ruler you have!

    ReplyDelete