Sunday, April 18, 2010

Some things I should like better than I do

I have been hunting for something I misplaced for quite some time now -- unsuccessfully I might add. Anyway I have come across some things that I really should like alot. After all I bought them didn't I? Must have liked them, right? And I do like them, but they are just not quite right somehow. I thought I would share a few. First up is a make do. Very popular in the prim world, right? And from my very favourite prim store, but, I don't know, maybe a little too purposely contrived as prim? Or how about these boxes? I was quite pleased when I discovered them at the thrift store, but no matter where I put them they somehow just do not float my boat.
Or this. Also thrifted. Cute as can be, right? Well, maybe not so much. Very retro '50's. I just have no clue what to do with it.
Now here is someone's mega project. This was in a plastic sack at the thrift store. It was hard to tell its size. Turns out it is about a foot wide and several feet long. I think it was made a while back based on the fabrics. Yo yos are really popular. I am not a very good yo yo maker. Maybe it's because I don't like them as much as everyone else.
Doesn't it seem like there are cycles or trends in the quilting world? Redwork for a while, aprons for a while, tote bags still seem to be really popular. Oh, and pillowcases are the latest thing, aren't they?
I had to rescue this and I do appreciate the labour that went into it. I just don't seem to like it all that much. Oh, did I mention how heavy it is? A full size yo yo quilt would way a ton I think.
As you know I LOVE Christmas. And when I found these (also at the thrift store) I had big plans for replacing the fabric centers. Years later, and have I done it? No. And I suppose I never will.
Here's another set of primitive boxes. And I have seen this set in oodles of primitive and country magazine photos. Again I was delighted when I found it at the thrift store. And I have placed it in many places in the house. But, nope, nowhere seems to be the right place for it.
And hearts, you know I love hearts. We do an ornament swap every year at work as part of the 12 Days of Christmas and this was the one I won a few years ago. Old fashioned -- check. The look of mercury glass -- check. Heart shaped -- check. And yet, I have never hung it on my tree. That little twist on the bottom just doesn't work for me.
Oh, here we go, an item from Gooseberry Patch. It's a collectors' item now, right? Since they have discontinued their catalog. Hearts, gingham, cute curly wire. But it is a garland and you all know I am garland challenged. I have never found the right home for it either.
And these are red, snap on to Christmas tree limbs or other things, but, hmmm. Nothing.
Another Gooseberry Patch item. What could be better than plaid stars and hearts? These items have graced many a bowl and basket trying to find the perfect spot. Even the Christmas tree. And yet they have spent more of their life in a box then anywhere else.
One last item, then I will change the subject. I have a red one of these that I love and when I found this one I thought immediately of my lack of spring time decorating items and pounced on it. At a real store, not a thrift store I might add. And I have put different things in it every Easter and spring for the last few years. But, no, just doesn't quite do it for me.
So, do you have things like this? Things that for some reason or another are a disappointment? One person's disappointment is another's happy find. I am thinking some of these items will be featured in upcoming giveaways. Just because they don't make me happy doesn't mean they won't make someone else happy. So stay tuned.
Meanwhile I have something new to share. In keeping with the bummed out theme of the last few weeks though, it wasn't easy to acquire. I have been thinking of purchasing one of these ever since I saw in Sweet P's blog that she was using a similar item to cut circles for penny rugs. And when I researched it on the web as far as I could tell everyone who used one loved it.
I had that JoAnn's gift card burning a hole in my pocket and this seemed the perfect item on which to use it. Except it is not carried in the stores, only online. Well, okay, I received an email with a 40% off coupon and free shipping a few weeks ago. Time to order. Not. JoAnn's web site doesn't allow you to use 2 coupons. Grrr. Frustrated, I didn't place an order and hunted elsewhere on the web for it.
And this sad tale goes on and on, but enough of the whiney downer stuff -- finally I got my hands on it. What is it you ask? Well, look and see...
Now, I don't scrapbook. In fact, if it weren't for this blog I wouldn't take pictures either. But after learning that this will indeed die cut fabric, even wool, I really wanted it. So right off the bat, I had to test it out. What do you think?
Cute, aren't they? And look what else you get! Oh, okay, these probably are supposed to be thrown away. But there must be something you can do with them, don't you think? I just know it.
So look at this stashlet! Isn't it cute? Fun, fun fun.
Oh, and there is one more stashlet to share. Now I have 22 of them and that is enough. I know you are wondering what I have planned for them. I guess I can share as none of the folks who work for me read my blog. Or even know it exists.
I think I mentioned that I am planning on retiring at the end of the year. Every year I have tried really hard to find unique (and inexpensive -- there have been as many as 30 of them some years) Christmas gifts for my folks. I usually hunt all year long and they always look forward to them. So this year, stashlets for all. That way they will have something to remember me by. And that's the reason I wanted so many colours and styles. I don't really know their tastes. So I figured if I have enough for all plus some spares they can choose something they like. I just haven't figured out quite how to do the gifting so they have a chance to choose. But hey, I have plenty of time to get that figured out.

3 comments:

  1. I like both sets of those prim boxes. But our tastes do change over time. Good thrift store finds.
    Oh, I do like your new toy for cutting circles. I have not heard of that brand before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the circles on your stashlet! Really sets it off perfectly! I have lots of things, like you, that I have either outgrown or am just confused on why I bought it in the first place. There is just no fathoming what we are thinking sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some fun treasures there. Even if they are not speaking to you. I really like little quilt with the red triangles and circles.

    ReplyDelete