Saturday, December 5, 2009

Remember you were warned

about my going overboard with the Christmas decorating. Today I can only share some of it as I filled up my camera card and have to make some adjustments before I can take more pictures. And I haven't even gotten to the tree -- just to some of the other areas. As always, you must remember that I am not a great photographer so you will just have to bear with me. First up, the dining room table. I seem to be stuck on the picket fence and the HOME blocks now don't I? They just look so good with everything. There are some of the new candy canes. That green dish? A recent thrifted find. It is actually a divided dish and it is Russell Wright. My mom once upon a time had an entire set of Russell Wright in -- wait for it -- the colour of the season -- chartreuse! I have no clue what ever happened to it. Wish it lived with me. Next up, a quilty corner.
And my Christmas frame collection of two! Both showing off Mary Engelbreit cards. I love her illustrations.
Our house has shelves on both sides of the fire place. This is the side over the hole where the TV goes. I think I need to make some little Christmas quilts to replace these for the season, don't you?
This is the other side, top shelf.
Second shelf. Looks like that snow girl is hiding behind the flag. I made that needlepoint stocking when my daughter was a baby. Obviously I loved bright colours. I still do. I kind of have a split personality between bright and primitive. On someone's blog I saw it referred to as perky and murky. That's me.
Here is the mantel. Mr THQ made the flag for me and my FIL made the birdhouse cabin many many years ago.
I think we started with the snowman top for this box when I first got it. Now we have been through all the seasonal toppers. These fancy pants snow ladies are a little out of character for me but I just loved their animal prints and "mink" trimmed coats.
I made this little quilt to go in a certain place but it was just a bit too big when it was all finished. Don't you just hate it when you measure and measure and STILL get it wrong? Like sewing in a sleeve inside out, taking it out, and then doing it again. Grrr. Oh, well, it looks just fine here.
One of the first things we bought after we got married was an old secretary. It was old then, so now it is REALLY old. It was finished in a dark stain with gold plastic in the door. You remember that stuff from the '70's? UGLYYYYY! Some time ago Mr THQ refinished it and put real glass in the door. All of that was the long way around to saying here is what is on the top shelf inside the door.
Here is a little display next to it. I have had a few Annalee items for just about as many years as we have had the secretary.
Here is the top of the tall side. My daughter made the Christmas tree sign when she was really little. It is one of my favourite things.
Here is the top of the low side. Tired of me saying how long I have had things yet? I must have made that cross stitch welcome sign 30 or so years ago!
Here is a better view.
This house has sidelights by the front door. Here is one side. I ran out of camera card space before I could show you the other side so it will have to wait for the next post.
I love these little stockings from Moda. Now these I have only had a year or two!
This little sign is recently thrifted. I think it is really cute. Mr THQ was giving me a hard time because it is not near my "reindeer section" which is on top of the fridge. It just didn't show up well enough there!
Now on to the other side of the room. I love little Santa dolls and snowmen. You probably already guessed, huh?
I guess I should get the ladder out to get a better pic of this but after 4 days of ladder work getting all the decorations up I just didn't have it in me.
Here is a view of the whole area.
And my little tree with "old fashioned" ornaments next to the cabinet. This tree actually has a theme and I stick to it!
I know I already showed this wreath as my Christmas decoration teaser but I wanted to show my tree collection over the door. When I get the ladder out I will show you a close up of the world's ugliest crafted Christmas tree. It is one of my all time favourites. It's the 3rd one in from the right.
You have seen this flat birdhouse before. Here it is ready for Christmas. I hadn't thought before of how funny it is that the birdhouse is big and the trees are small.
Now you can get just a glimpse of my tree. There is a post near the front entry that is fun to decorate. Here is one side.
And here is the front side. I made this Christmas quilt a year or two ago. I really like it. I usually don't go in for just 2 colours as I am more of a scrappy kind of girl. I am thinking of making it my blog header for the season but by the time I get around to it the season will be gone so this may be your only chance to see it!
Well, that's all for today. I promise more soon. It will be Christmas tree overload time!

4 comments:

  1. GREAT decorations!!! I love them all. There wonderful, your like me, when you take all that down your house will seem empty. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house quilt is my favorite thing of what you show today. I also like the snowman with the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!WOW! AND WOW! Now that is what I call the Christmas Spirit! Love your decorations...and YOUR QUILTS!!!! DROOLING HERE...lovely!
    Take care!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely decorations. I love your Christmas quilt too. Thanks for sharing!

    And speaking of sharing, I hope you'll check out my Virtual Christmas Quilt Show and consider entering this show....just be sure to follow the rules to enter, if you want to win prizes.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete