Sunday, June 12, 2011

While I was waiting

for the holiday sale so I could buy my 12 yards of bias tape, I of course decided to start something else. After all, what else do you do when the multiple things you are working on are in a holding pattern? Remember when I decided to work on all my kits that were hanging around? That didn't go too far, now did it? Anyway, this pattern came in a kit with the panel so I decided to work on it. All the fabric except the panel were brushed homespun plaids. I didn't like most of them but have to admit the colours were super with the panel. If they weren't by the panel designer they were chosen well. Anyway, all the squares were 4" finished and used the Thangle method for the HST. I decided not to make the bear's block because I did not want to make all those tiny HSTs. So it was on to the star blocks on the bottom. Now you know I love star blocks and have made at least a bazillion of them. So, what happened?
You would think I would have noticed something amiss before I had sewn all 11 of them together. But, no. So the decision was to rip them out or do something else. Little homespun pieces do not rip out well so these went in the trash and I decided on the something else. Next morning I did dig them out because that seemed so wasteful. Grrr. Anyway, the top did get finished and I like it a lot despite not liking so much of the fabric. I wonder what I would have chosen if this had not been a kit? Unanswerable.


We had done some thrifting not too long ago and I keep forgetting to take a picture of this bowl. It is so wonderfully retro that I had to have it. I haven't a clue what to do with it since I am not much for pastels, but it's now mine.

Back to quilting. Here is the center block with all the applique completed. And as it turns out I like the fact that the curve of the vine and the curve of the cat's tail go the same direction. So that turned out to be a good mistake. I am glad I left it alone.

And today I got the blocks sewn into place. All that is left now is the borders which are FULL of applique. When I cut this out many months ago I cut 4.5" borders instead of the called for 6.5". I have no idea why I did that and now need to decide whether to use them or find more black fabric and cut new ones. This quilt has had way too many decisions I think.

But I am liking it a lot. I don't think it needs the additional applique. Just some plain black to set off the stars would be sufficient. And that would keep it slightly smaller. It is a big one. I really have a dilemma about quilting it, too. My usual stipple does not seem right. Maybe some shadow quilting. Like I said, too many decisions on this one. I expect it will have to hang around for a while now until I feel like making some of those decisions!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my, the Halloween quilt is stunning. I like what you did with the kit quilt as well. Your homespun blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look wonderful, but I have to admit I simply ADORE the halloween one!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete