I had been struggling to get a May finish. There were still 2 large quilts pinned and ready to go. But that was the problem. These last 2 were BIG. And the big ones are hard to quilt in my machine. Add to that some of my issues from the recent holiday weekend and I was a little wary that I could even get a good finish. But lo and behold, here it is. This is from a pattern called Hip to Be Square that I bought in Portland (well, Lake Oswego) about this time last year when a friend and I went to the Portland quilt show. But this is a modern pattern meant to be made with large prints. I chose my standard small primitive prints. I think that the fabric choices and the pattern are really mismatched and the pattern really is better suited to large prints. Oh, well, I like it okay and it will be a good addition to the flag room. Now you know the reason for its name.
Before I decided I could get a big quilt done I finished a couple of small table mats that I had started a while back with some small scrappy strips. April had pretty meager finishes and these were not much better, but I originally thought this was all I could manage. I had seen a quilt somewhere in blogland that I cannot remember that was quilted with an uneven grid so I thought I would try it. I like it alot but boy, does it take a ton of thread even on this little mat!