Thursday, July 30, 2009

Putting it all back

Amazing, isn't it, how quickly time goes by? The kids have come and gone. It all went by so quickly. Unfortunately Braxton was sick most of the week and then Kensie and Megan came down with it, too. And then they left it behind for me to catch, too. But Kensie and I did manage to get some sewing done.

This is the bag we made -- a project bag. Kensie picked all the fabrics and did quite a bit of the sewing. I have to say it was a little harder than I anticipated as I have not made a bag before. But she was quite pleased with it and so was I. There is more blue dot fabric left in the stash and the bag will be easier the second time around, won't it? I won't be able to duplicate it exactly as none of the other fabrics remain. So I can have a cousin bag, not a sister bag. Then it was time to put the flag room back together. As promised, here are pics of the quilts I hide on that bed. The lower left one is from the Thimbleberries club a few years ago. I was a mail order member for one year, then decided it was a bit spendy for me. The lower right one is a class I took locally I saw the sample and fell in love. I also made one in all neutrals that I gave away. I love the stenciling around the border. Don't know why I haven't done that again. One of these days, maybe.
Hmm, here we have a few scrap quilts. I love the primary colour one. I have had the black and white boot scootin' border fabric for ages and finally did something with it. The purple and green one in the back contains a floral print that dates from when Megan was a baby. She is almost 35 now. Properly aged, don't you think? It's a nice baby quilt in waiting now I think.
Last spring a friend and I went to the Portland quilt show and did quite a bit of shop hopping. I bought a Mary Engelbreit charm pack. I am not a big fan of the pre-cuts. I like to pick my own fabric and mix and match from different designers and years. That is what a stash is for, right?
Anyway, I have always liked ME and could not decide on yardage so picked up the charm pack. This was a pattern from an old BH&G American Patchwork & Quilting mag. Easy and quick and made good use of the charm pack.
Very springy quilt, too, I think. But I don'thave a good home for it so it hides on this bed. So sad.
Here are a couple of coin quilts. I have made this in my normal primitive colours but had some assorted brighter scraps I wanted to use up. When I went to find fabric for the strips and border I couldn't decide (seems to be a theme tonight, doesn't it?) whether the white or blue looked better so I got both and made these two. Again, not a good home for them, so here they sit. Or lie, I guess.
Which do you like better? White or blue? I still can't decide.
Since I keep talking about the flag room I think I should start showing you what it looks like. There is both a little rolltop desk that my FIL made for Megan years ago from oak from a hotel that was being torn down in Dallas. And a vanity. We found some small sized school chairs thrifting one day that fit both of them perfectly. And little quilts fit the back of them perfectly, too. This was a country threads pattern. I really like browns and cheddar with the RW&B, don't you?
This is another little quilt based on a favourite fat quarter like the boots. I fall in love with these happy prints but never know what to do with them. A while back I decided to just do something. It's fun and creative and you get to use all kinds of different things up that are a little out of the old comfort zone. You might recognize some of the fabrics in these pinwheels from that star quilt that now sits on my entry way bench.Looking at these today it seems clear that I am attracted to black and brightr clear primary colours. Funny how putting things on the blog makes you see things differently, isn't it?
This Saturday is the Kuna quilt show. And I haven't even gotten around to showing you the pics from the Boise show yet. Wow, am I behind. So two quilt show's worth of my oddball photography coming up.







1 comment:

  1. Those quilts are all lovely and the bag is really cute. Glad you had a good time and hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete